January 2, 2011

Nom Nom - Spanish Rice

Not to toot my own horn, but my favorite thing about what I typically cook is how it's easily adaptable to one's personal tastes. This is why I typically forgo the practice of offering measurements as I believe that, if you really like feta cheese, I'm not one to suggest how much or how little you should put in there. I'll give my opinion, of course, and suggest alternatives but ultimately cooking for yourself is about you, so make it how you like it!

That said, Spanish Rice is totes easy and very adaptable so long as you and whoever else you may be cooking for like tomatoes and beef. And rice.

In order to make it exactly as I have, you will need: half an onion, 1ib of thin cut beef, 1 can of stewed tomatoes, 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies, 3 cups of rice (uncooked), chili powder, garlic powder (or fresh garlic), and brown sugar.

Other suggestions: cheese, 1 can of any kind of bean, lime/lemon juice, and any additional spices that you like (for example, I think yellow curry powder would be quite interesting).
1. Place three cups of uncooked rice and 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies in your rice cooker. Make sure to add extra water as the tomatoes and chilies will increase the water line causing inaccurate measurements. If you don't have a rice cooker...uhm...good luck!

2. Place the half onion face down and slice the entire onion from the side. I prefer big chunks of onion, but feel free to dice as wanted. Add these to a large frying pan and set to a medium-high setting. Cook until they are semi-translucent until moving on to the next step.

3. Slice your beef into bite sized strips and add them to the frying onions. Let this combination cook together for a while, but you can add lemon or lime juice here.

4. After your beef is as cooked as you want it to be and onions fully translucent, add the can of stewed tomatoes and any spices you want (also beans). The green chilies in the rice should bring a little bit of a spicy kick when introduced to the beef mixture, but you can add more hotness here as well. Brown sugar is completely optional, but highly recommended. I love spicy-sweet, which is why I added it.

5. Once the rice is done cooking, add it to your beef and tomato mixture and stir together.

6. EAT UP! This would be the time to top with cheese if you want to, or stick it inside of a tortilla for burrito action.

This dish should only take as much time needed to cook the rice, so about 20-30 minutes.

No comments: